A-600 Skip Trowel System Components
A-600 Skip Trowel System Analysis
A-600 System Specification
Americrete‘s decorative concrete overlays are designed to enhance plain concrete into patterns, textures, and colors fit for any architectural scheme. The A-600 Concrete Resurfacer can be used to trowel a simple smooth finish or skip troweled with taped out patterns to simulate tile or stone. There are many options for coloring the patterns and textures. You can use pigmented topcoats, stains and integral coloring of the A-600 cement.
- It is imperative that the substrate is structurally sound.
- Deteriorated, cracked or spalled concrete should be repaired.
- Americrete recommends that all structural concrete substrates be tested for structural integrity and chemical contamination prior to application of any surfacing materials.
How to Properly Prepare the Surface
- Americrete will bond to properly cleaned and porous concrete surfaces.
- Mechanical or chemical abrasion may be necessary in order to achieve the proper profile.
- Profile means that the concrete should feel rough, like 80-100 grit sandpaper.
Existing Coated Floors
- All existing coatings, sealers, curing agents and other foreign materials must be removed by shot blast or grinding equipment in order to reveal clean concrete.
- If oil or greasy spots are present, clean by scrubbing the surface with A-100 Degreaser.
- Broom A-100 Degreaser evenly over the entire surface.
- Allow the degreaser to remain on the surface for approximately 30 minutes.
- Rinse substrate and wait till dry
- Do a final clean with liquid TSP solution to ensure A-100 is totally removed.
- Power wash surface with a 3000 to 4000 psi machine. Read A-100 Degreaser Specifications for full details.
To Prevent Vapor Transmission
- The surface should be tested to assure that the vapor transmission is below 3.5 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.
- This can be measured by using a Calcium Chloride test kit. Follow directions on the test kit.
- A-6300 penetrating vapor seal epoxy can be used to control moisture vapor
- Broadcast skid-tex or Monetary Sand into the wet epoxy. Allow to dry before applying A-600 over the top. Refer to technical data sheet A-6300.
Surface Leveling Procedure
Note: Low areas, surface voids and other irregularities that cannot be repaired using a thin coat application may be repaired using this leveling procedure prior to resurfacing.
- Prime surface with A-300.
- Apply A-600 Concrete Resurfacer mixed with 6 to 6 1/2 quarts of water per bag, for any areas from 1/8” or 3/8”.
- For deeper areas, A-900 may be necessary. See A-900 specification sheet.
Thin Set Overlay
- Upon completion of repairs, the surface shall be overlaid with a minimum of 2 applications of A-600 Concrete Resurfacer.
- The first coat of A-600 is to fill minor dings and divots in the surface to provide a smooth finish for the Skip trowel decorative overlay.
- The second coat is the decorative cement overlay.
- Prime the surface with A-300 Bonder/Admix at a spread rate of 300 square feet per gallon and allow to dry.
- Mix A-600 with 6 to 6 1/2 quarts of water, using a low RPM drill and egg beater type mixing paddle.
- Pour out the blended A-600 material along one edge of the field of work and start troweling with a round nosed pool trowel.
- Do not cover any expansion joints.
- Brush A-600 out of joints with a wet brush.
- Trowel or squeegee the A-600 smooth over the entire area and allow to dry. ( For additional information on squeegee application see A-6000 Resurfacer Specification)
- Lightly scrape off any trowel ridges and points with a tile scraper on a pole. Sweep or blow off the surface.
- Allow the A-600 skim coat to thoroughly dry before applying tape patterns.
- Tape out any desired patterns using Grout Tape or Stone Strips.
- The Grout Tape can do 100 square feet of a 1 foot by 1-foot tile pattern per roll and the Stone Strips will cover 100 square feet per pound.
- For the second skip trowel coat, mix 6 to 6 1⁄2 quarts of water with one 50 lb. bag of A-600.
- The coverage will be approximately 125 to 150 square feet per mix.
- Trowel out the A-600 out over the taped out patterns using a “skip trowel” type technique.
- Intermittently apply a little extra mound of cement and slightly flatten out) Try to achieve a natural stone or flagstone appearance. If you are doing a tile pattern then a smooth skim coat over the taped pattern is another option.
- When the A-600 is dry you can lightly sand the surface to remove any trowel ridges or points. A green or white nylon buffing pad works well.
- The A-600 can be stained using the A-1000 Concrete Stain. Add 20% water and spray out the stain using a pump sprayer. You can also broom the A-1000 Stain, after spraying out, with a soft hair push broom. Work the broom in a circular motion to spread the stain evenly. The A-1000 Stain will mottle itself in the different troweled textures to produce a simulated stone look. Please read the A-1000 specification sheet for full details and additional tips.
- After the stain is dry, the tapes can be removed. One technique for removing the tape is to pull the tape toward you as you lift upward. Don’t pull the tape off quickly, on hot days it may leave an adhesive residue.
- Clean out expansion joints using a straight blade on an angle grinder. Sweep or blow off all dust.
- The surface is now ready to receive a finish clear coat. Seal the surface with two thin coats of the appropriate sealer.
A-100 Product Description
A-100 Americrete Degreaser is a fortified concrete and multipurpose cleaner that is designed to clean and lightly etch the surface simultaneously. The primary use is to remove deeply penetrated oil stains and contaminated surface residue.
A-300 Product Description
A-300 Cement Modifier Bonder is a proprietary bonding agent and admixture. Concrete Bonder Admix can provide superior bonding strength between the substrate and Americrete cements. It can also be added in small amounts to Americrete cements to increase PSI and speed up cure times.
A-600 Product Description
A-600 Americrete‘s skip towel decorative concrete overlays are designed to enhance plain concrete into patterns, textures, and colors fit for any architectural scheme. The A-600 Concrete Resurfacer can be used to trowel a simple smooth finish or skip troweled with taped out patterns to simulate tile or stone. There are many options for coloring the patterns and textures. You can use pigmented topcoats, stains and integral coloring of the A-600 cement.
A-6,300 Product Description
Americrete’s A-6300 is a two component, 100% solids, low viscosity, moisture blocking epoxy primer. It has an ability to reduce the hydrostatic pressure emitted by the floor. When applied at 73°F / 50% humidity, Americrete’s 6300 is a 5-7 hour cure.